Thursday, December 15, 2016

J.Cole "4 Your Eyez Only" Album BYOD Music Review



BYOD Review of:  J. Cole - 4 Your Eyez Only
By: Magno Nogueira

            After two years of waiting J. Cole’s fourth studio album is finally here and after listening to it on repeat the whole weekend I can finally share my thoughts on it.  The album’s melodic and is sonically appealing. There isn’t much of anything to really turn up too, which what most people want from hip hop now-a-days, but it’s a project you can enjoy relaxing at home  or maybe while on a blunt ride.  But, the more I’ve listened to the records I began to understand the album is a lot deeper than just the music.  I missed the story the first couple times listening to “4 Your Eyez Only”. When I finally was able to sit down and dissect the lyrics, I then realized that the whole album is written from the perspective of a Father sharing his life story with his daughter, explaining his life, the choices he made, experiences that made him reconsider his life style and how he matured too late to escape his lifestyle alive.  The deceased father is most likely James McMillan Jr., a friend of J. Cole who was caught up in the street life and was murdered.  He mentions this in the last verse of the song “Change” when he says “I made it home, I woke up and turned on the morning news, Overcame with a feeling I can't explain, Cause that was my nigga James that was slain, he was 22.”

            “4 Your Eyes Only”  introduces itself with “For Whom the Bell Tolls,” being told from the perspective of James, praying to God and confessing his depression. He feels like he’s going to die and needs help.  He says in the second line of the first verse “But what do you do when there's no place to turn? I have no one, I'm lonely, my bridges have burnt down, Lord, Lord.” He’s saying that he ruined relationships with everyone who can physically help him now he can hear the church bells calling him, and God being the only one he can ask for help.

            Then the album changes its pace and tone, when J. Cole starts rapping on the next track “Immortal.” It starts off “Now I was barely seventeen with a pocket full of hope, Screamin', dollar and a dream with my closet lookin' broke, And my nigga's lookin' clean, gettin' caught up with that dope.” This verse is setting up the narrative by explaining why he got involved in the street life.  Cole then goes on to explaining the negatives that come from selling dope, which is having to avoid the police; seeing your friends pass away; explaining how their names will live on by the people associated with him on the block, and the ones who stood on the plot, aka the ones who are at his funeral and visit his burial plot. “In my mind I been cryin', know it's wrong but I'm sellin', Eyes wellin' up with tears, Thinkin' 'bout my niggas dead in the dirt, Immortalized on this shirt, Real niggas don't die, Forward with the plot, One-Seven-Forty-Five, For him at the plot.”

            Now, at first I was disappointed in the next song “Déjà vu”, because the beat that was used is the same as Bryson Tillers “Exchange”. Which using that beat gives the album a mixtape feel. But, come to find out there is controversy as to which producer made the beat first.  You can read more about this on:

After learning of the beat I was able to finally enjoy the song. This song is about a guy who has feelings for a girl at a party who is already in a relationship, but he eventually sees her out alone and is able to get her number. Now this could be about J. Cole, but in an attempt to have it flow with the theme of the album it could be about James and how he met the mother of his daughter


            Next song slows down a little bit and explains the “Ville Mentality,” and how that’s got Cole thinking about retirement like he mentioned in “Jermaine’s interlude” on DJ Khaled’s “Major Key” album. This also ties into the theme of the album where James could be feeling he should get away from his current situation knowing it won’t be long until he disappears. You can see how it can be in reference to both of them when Cole says “…Damn it, won't be long 'fore I disappear, You call it runnin', I call it escapin', Start a new life in a foreign location, Similar to my niggas duckin' cases, Can't take the possible time that it faces.” Then it’s like he reconsiders these thoughts when he says in the second verse, “Nigga play me, never, Give up my chain, never, Give up my pride, never, Show my pain, never, Dirt on my name, never.” This is the “Ville Mentality” and this way of thinking is what can put someone in a situation where they could possibly lose their life. You also get a feeling as if he’s talking from James’ perspective when the little girl speaks on how her father died and how she wishes he was around.

            Moving on we get into “She’s mine, pt. 1” where Cole is speaking on how he fell in love with his wife.  But, with this you can tell he’s speaking from James’ perspective as well and how he fell in love with his child’s mother.  You may understand this when he says “She gets him, you get me, She hugs him, you kiss me.” This explains how he’s talking about his love and the love between James and his girl.
 
            The song “Change” speaks on how James is looking to change his lifestyle, maybe trying to do this by taking basketball more serious and focusing on that. There is a reference to this when Cole says, “Yeah, prodigal son, got a new gun, this one, Don't run out of ammo lately been working on my handles, Can I ball, become a star, and remain myself.”  This change in mentality comes too late though because by the end of the song he dies and ends at his funeral service. “Pistols be poppin' and niggas drop in a heartbeat, Scattered like roaches, a body laid on the concrete…No time for that, ain't no lookin' back, cause I'm running too, I made it home, I woke up and turned on the morning news …that was my nigga James that was slain, he was 22.”

            After the death of James in the story line J. Cole starts to speak on things going on directly in his life.  Now in “Neighbors” Cole is talking about a true story of how his neighbors called the police suspecting that people were selling drugs out of his home, but it was being used as a recording studio and when the police raided the house that’s all that was found. This song takes a break from the narrative to speak on the racist stereotypes that still exist in America.  He explains this in the second verse “…Took a little break just to annotate.”

            Cole then dives into “Foldin Clothes,” where he is speaking on doing what is most important to him at the moment and that’s trying to help his wife in anyway while she is dealing with the pregnancy.
            In “She’s Mine, Pt. 2” Cole is speaking on falling in love with his new born daughter.  It can also reflect on the feelings for his friend James and how he felt about his daughter when she was born.

            The last song on the album which is the title track “4 Your Eyez Only,” is where you discover that the whole album is a message from Cole’s friend James to his daughter.  The record starts by explaining James’ life and James’ request if anything happens to him for Cole to tell his story to his daughter. With hope that this will help her understand why he made the mistakes that he made and how he tried to change, but the change didn’t happen soon enough. J. Cole explains this in the last verse when he’s telling James’ daughter, Nina, about a conversation that him and her father had, also explaining the purpose of the album "Listen, I got no time to dive into descriptions, But I've been having premonitions, Just call it visions from the other side, I got a feeling I won't see tomorrow, Like the time I'm living on is borrowed, With that said, the only thing I'm proud to say, I was a father, Write my story down and if I pass, Go play it for my daughter when she ready."
 
             Every song on the album is relatable to J. Cole and his friend James. Their lives pretty much reflect each other besides for a few crucial choices that took them into two different directions, one towards the street life and the other into making music.  J. Cole’s journey being the BYOD way, turning a negative situation into a positive one, and the others journey being one of someone trapped in the mentality of the street life, the “Ville Mentality.”  Each of them are telling their story but for two different audiences, James for his Daughter’s eyes and J. Cole for the eyes of his daughter and his fans. When I first heard the album I gave it a B but after finding the deeper meaning behind the music I have to give it this project an A.  If you didn’t notice these things the first time you heard the album than go back and listen again because it may change your perspective on the album.

Please be sure to subscribe to the blog on the right of the screen--------------------->

Thank You for checking this blog post. Be sure to read previous posts and stay up to date with BYOD!
Visit Bidchat.com and download the app Bidchat and Watch "In The Booth" on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays
VISIT the Website: http://www.beyourowndad.com/
SUBSCRIBE to the Youtube Channel: Jimmy V/Be Your Own Dad 
FOLLOW on Twitter and Instagram: @beyourowndad
Snapchat: tallchocomilk 
-Jimmy V aka MR.BYOD

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment and share your thoughts!

Latest Performances

End of The Year 2017 Recap

  The year 2017 has been a good year for me. There were both ups and downs but the good thing is I remember the UPs more than the downs. I g...