Tuesday, November 29, 2016

The Weeknd "StarBoy" Album Music BYOD Review!



Review of The Weeknd album “StarBoy”
By: Magno Nogueira
The Weeknd’s new album is a hit as expected. He doesn’t disappoint as he drops hit songs like the title track “StarBoy.” With a Daft Punk collab insuring this to be an international club hit, not saying The Weeknd couldn’t achieve this on his own, it doesn’t disappoint. This song is The Weeknd bragging about the success he has achieved and being proud of his accomplishments.  He also is addressing his haters like when he says “I come alive in the fall time, No competition, I don't really listen I’m in the blue Mulsanne bumping New Edition.” He’s pretty much saying I drop music every fall and no one can even compete with me, I rather listen to old school New Edition than to listen to the trash you all are putting out. Strong words from the Starboy to his haters but being that i'm an athlete I love the competitiveness and shit talking. It’s a real catchy song, and judging by the amount of radio play its getting, it’s a hit. It is something outside of what I normally listen to, but the lyrical content is there as always when it comes to a Weeknd track, and I still enjoy it and catch myself singing the hook at the most random times.
The Weeknd keeps the party going with his second single "Party Monster" with great production and catchy lyrics you can tell the song is a hit.  The song is about exactly what the title suggest being a party monster; going out partying, meeting girls, taking drugs, and waking up in the morning not knowing who you took home the night before, giving us classic Weeknd content. 
Now his 3rd track “False Alarm” is not really my cup of tea.  This song goes off track of the previous two songs giving it a different feel. Once again the lyrical content is there as always but the production is more of a punk rock feel and although I can see it being a hit to some it isn’t with me. 
Then we move on to “Reminder “which is a classic Weeknd sounding song in terms of production.  This is one of the better songs on the album and what I like most about this song is what he has to say right in the first verse, when he says “I just won a new award for a kids show. Talking 'bout a face numbing off a bag a blow. I'm like goddamn bitch I am not a Teen Choice.”  He’s obviously talking about His hit single “Can’t Feel My Face”. I feel him 1000%! Why would a kids network give a man an award for a song where he’s talking about sniffing coke? It's sending out the wrong message to kids and even though the song was a radio hit; kids obviously heard it. Keep it away from kids and teen choice awards.
The album then gets back to the bouncy party tracks with “Rockin” and “Secrets”  with up tempo beats and catchy lyrics I can hear these songs in the club. Maybe not the ones I will be at, but they’re hits none-the-less. Not songs I would listen to on the regular but The weeknd is an artist who touches on many genres and caters to a wide array of fans so this is expected on his albums.
The Weeknd then gives his R&B fans like me another song we can enjoy with “True Colors.” Almost like a continuation of Secrets this song is basically about The Weeknd trying to find out more about the girl from the previous track wanting to get to know her more; asking for her to show her “True Colors.”
We then get a transitional interlude by Lana del Rey, to change the pace of the album. Then we get my favorite track of the album “Side Walks.” Talking about how He came from the streets and how being from that thought him a lot about life and how that motivated him to get to where he is now, saying this in the first verse while also taking a shot at an ex-producer of his Zodiac, “So nobody made me but the main streets, 'Cause too many people think they made me Well, if they really made me then replace me Homeless to Forbes List, these niggas bring no stress”  Which is exactly what BYOD is all about, taking a negative situation and turning that into a positive.  He even says in the first verse “Grew up with no father so nobody ever "son" me.” That’s the BYOD way. And of course a Kendrick Lamar cannot go unnoticed, dropping a dope verse taking this song over the top for me.
We get three more good songs until we get another stand out in my opinion with “Attention.” Which is basically about what all men in relationships have to deal with, and that’s giving your girlfriend the attention she wants.  It’s smooth track and probably my second favorite on the album but not by much, because The Weeknd's second collab with future on the album is not far behind. In the Song “All I know” The Weeknd is asking a girl for enough time to be able to show his love for her but because he’s a busy man he probably won’t be able to do this and she knows it.  Future compliments The Weeknd perfect in this song making this possibly the second hit The Weeknd and Future has collaborated on. 
The song is followed by another smooth track “Die For You” a slow paced R&B joint about having to let go of a girl he still cares a lot for, which is something everyone can relate to because it’s a decision we all have made or will make in life.  He follows this with the closing track of the album with another bouncy but medium paced collab with Daft Punk bringing the album back full circle. 
Overall I give the album an 8.5/10 some people may give it a higher rating but I don’t see anybody, who is a Weeknd fan, really giving a lower rating than that.  It was a well thought out album with great production all around catering to all his fans switching up genres and pace throughout.

Please be sure to subscribe to the blog on the right of the screen---------------------> 
Thank You for checking this blog post. Be sure to read previous posts and stay up to date with BYOD!
Visit Bidchat.com and download the app Bidchat and Watch "In The Booth" on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays
VISIT the Website: http://www.beyourowndad.com/
SUBSCRIBE to the Youtube Channel: Jimmy V/Be Your Own Dad 
FOLLOW on Twitter and Instagram: @beyourowndad
Snapchat: tallchocomilk 
-Jimmy V aka MR.BYOD

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment and share your thoughts!

Latest Performances

End of The Year 2017 Recap

  The year 2017 has been a good year for me. There were both ups and downs but the good thing is I remember the UPs more than the downs. I g...