Thursday, February 16, 2017

Throwback Album Of The Week

 Nas - Illmatic 

The "Illmatic" album is wildly known as one of the best debut rap albums of all time. After listening to the album it's hard to debate against that statement. I was personally too young to listen to it when it was first released but I still remember the first time I heard it all the way through. It was around 2002 and I downloaded it on limewire, during the good old days of dial up. It took about 6 hours to download the whole thing and it was worth it. I couldn't stop listening to it, the album was on repeat for about a month. If I felt this way 8 years after it was first released than I can only imagine the feeling people felt back in 1994.

   The album "Illmatic" is full of hits, there isn't one song that I would skip, but the one song that stands out for me is "Life's a Bitch." Its a smooth song where AZ and Nas just speak on their life up to that present point. The best part in the song for me is the trumpet solo at the end by Nas's father, Olu Dara (former jazz player), its smooth melody just takes me to a state of relaxation.  It takes me to those lazy summer days driving around with the windows down just enjoying the sun. Which is weird in a way because the record is about life being a bitch but it takes me to the days I enjoy the most. Many other rap fans mention the song "New York state of Mind," is their favorite record. This track is where Nas is just speaking on what he sees on the New York streets he grew up on . The album also features a record called "One Love," which is Nas writing a letter to a friend who's locked up in prison. The last verse of the song was even featured in the movie "Belly," that Nas co-produced for.

   This album put Nas' powerful story telling on display.  There isn't any other emcee that can tell stories better than him; maybe some at his caliber but nobody in the history of the game is better. He proved that throughout the years with his other albums, but "Illmatic" was the one that started it all and is, in my opinion, his greatest project. If you want to know what a 10/10 rating is for a rap album than "Illmatic" is the one . And, for all the hip hop fans who haven't heard the album....do yourself a favor and go listen to it now! But don't only listen to the album but open your ears and really listen to it.

Music Editor: Magnolima Nogeuira

Thank You for checking the BYOD blog. Be sure to read previous posts and stay up to date with BYOD! VISIT the Website: http://www.beyourowndad.com/ LIKE the Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/beyourowndad SUBSCRIBE to the Youtube Channel: Jimmy V/Be Your Own Dad FOLLOW on Twitter and Instagram: @beyourowndad Snapchat: tallchocomilk Business & Sponsorship Inquires: wjvibert@yahoo.com -Jimmy V aka MR.BYOD

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment and share your thoughts!

Latest Performances

End of The Year 2017 Recap

  The year 2017 has been a good year for me. There were both ups and downs but the good thing is I remember the UPs more than the downs. I g...