Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Why The Big Outrage over the recent H&M Ad?

H&M's stock has dropped dramatically in my eyes! Its a damn shame too because I used to buy from that raggedy ass store. Yeah, I admit it! Ya boy is broke and whenever I need to get fresh I would check out what H&M has in store. Well not anymore....

Black internet (Yeah there is such a thing) has been going crazy since this ad of a young black child wearing a hoodie with the phrase "Coolest Monkey In the Jungle" was released. Check it out below:
After this pic surfaced on social media EVERYONE had something to say! Including me! Check out the video below:
Now, why the outrage you may be asking? You may be saying to yourself "I don't see anything wrong with the ad"? Well, I would first say take the blindfolds off your eyes!

Quick history lesson for those that aren't familiar with Black American History: White people used to (probably still do at H&M's marketing meetings) refer to black people as monkeys. They would even get specific enough and call us Baboons and Apes! Often times referring to our skin color, lips, nostrils, ears, etc..

Don't believe me? Well check out this cartoon from 1941: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UacUR7bPnMM

I know what your thinking: "Jimmy V that doesn't prove that white people referred to you guys as monkeys!" Well how about you check out this other cartoon called "Little Black Sambo that was put out in 1935: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDslE0CMLvc

Notice what the "black cartoons" were depicted as.....btw these exact cartoons were the inspiration that Jay-Z used for his record "The story of OJ".

Now, back to the ad. To have a young black child wear a piece of clothing with the saying "I'm the coolest monkey in the jungle" is clearly labeling that child as a monkey! Which is....RACIST!

H&M knows they f*cked up because popular music artist that they've partnered with like 'The Weeknd" has dropped his partnership with them because he doesn't stand for the message they are promoting. Which means H&M is losing a large demographic for sales that The Weeknd was bringing in based off him wearing their clothes.

What I'm trying to figure out is what parents allowed this trash to be put on their child? Was the check that big? Maybe I should be asking...How much were they willing to sell their soul for? Just my thoughts....Leave your thoughts in the comments


Thank You for checking the BYOD blog. Be sure to read previous posts and stay up to date with BYOD! VISIT the Website: http://www.beyourowndad.com/ LIKE the Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/beyourowndad SUBSCRIBE to the Youtube Channel: Jimmy V/Be Your Own Dad FOLLOW on Twitter and Instagram: @beyourowndad Snapchat: tallchocomilk Business & Sponsorship Inquires: wjvibert@yahoo.com -Jimmy V aka MR.BYOD

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment and share your thoughts!

Latest Performances

End of The Year 2017 Recap

  The year 2017 has been a good year for me. There were both ups and downs but the good thing is I remember the UPs more than the downs. I g...