Sunday, March 26, 2017

My Experience on set of Tariq Nasheed's Doumentary of the 1804 Haitian Revolution

This past weekend I spend my time on set with the cast and crew of Tariq Nasheed's new documentary on the 1804 Haitian Revolution.

Being able to be apart of this project was an honor for me because my family is of Haitian descent. Both of my parents came straight from Haiti to America in pursuit of a better life. I was able to visit Haiti when I was a young child and I have a vivid memory of having to shower nude in public in front of everybody. The memory sticks with me because I was very embarrassed after showering but sadly that is the reality of living in a third world country like Haiti.

Now that I'm older, I have the chance to understand why Haiti is in its current state and condition. The 1804 Haitian Revolution is the only successful slave rebellion known to this day. If it wasn't for those Haitians that fought for their freedom in 1804 Haiti wouldn't be the independent country that it is today. Due to the fact the country became independent all of their outside resources were taken away from them. Forced to stand and be alone. Hence why Haitians are such strong people. Haitian people have learned to adapt and build from what they have. I've grown up watching this strong spirit in my own mother. She's overcome so many struggles and has always persevered through everything.

Being on set was a great experience. I was able to partake in a few scenes and watch how the documentary is being filmed. Everybody on set was cool and supportive to what needed to be done. Tariq himself was very cool. I've been on numerous film sets and I've come to find that directors tend to shy away from many on set especially extras. Tariq was very down to earth and interactive with everybody. He showed everybody love while still getting the task in front of him completed. I especially enjoyed how lunch for the weekend was catered by a Caribbean food company. That part helped spread the Caribbean vibe of the film. Plus, I LOVE PLANTENES (platanos) and being able to enjoy them outside of my own house was lovely!

Check out some BTS footage below and look forward to the final product in Fall 2017. S/O to Tariq Nasheed for the opportunity and all my zoes out there!




Thank You for checking the BYOD blog. Be sure to read previous posts and stay up to date with BYOD! VISIT the Website: http://www.beyourowndad.com/ LIKE the Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/beyourowndad SUBSCRIBE to the Youtube Channel: Jimmy V/Be Your Own Dad FOLLOW on Twitter and Instagram: @beyourowndad Snapchat: tallchocomilk Business & Sponsorship Inquires: wjvibert@yahoo.com -Jimmy V aka MR.BYOD

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment and share your thoughts!

Latest Performances

End of The Year 2017 Recap

  The year 2017 has been a good year for me. There were both ups and downs but the good thing is I remember the UPs more than the downs. I g...